Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Reeling

I get stopped by Bible Thumpers and Holy Rollers on campus almost every day. I've always assumed they aren't able to talk to many people because, let's be honest, no one wants to talk to them. I try to be a nice person most of the time, so I always let them ask me questions. I guess there's a group of them or something, because I always get asked the same question: "Do you think God is perfect?" That question always makes my head reel with uneasiness. Shouldn't you ask if I even believe in a god before you ask if I think this so-called god is perfect? I always answer the same way, too, by saying something along the lines of: "I don't really believe in a god. I'm not a straight-up atheist, but at the same time, I don't care to have a relationship with something no one can possibly know exists." Then they tell me some experience they had with god. It's usually something about how they were at an all-time low in their life and how god saved them by getting their heads out of their asses or something. They tell me that they used to have a Jesus-shaped hole in their heart and going to church filled it up. I can't help but shake this feeling the Jesus-shaped hole could be misunderstood. Sure, I can understand a feeling of emptiness in one's self, but I don't think you have to shove Jesus into your heart in order to feel better. There are people all over the place who aren't religious and still live very fulfilling lives. Along with being coaxed by the whole "there's a hole in my heart" line, people are also being reeled into church by the fishing rod of manipulation. Today alone I was stopped by two separate religious organizations, both of which were willing to bribe me. The first person who stopped me said there was going to be a pizza party on Friday and I was invited to ask questions about God and such. The second offered me home-made sugar cookies in exchange for my email address to receive invitations via the interweb about their church. Is it not immoral to lure a fish with bait after the fisherman goes to church on Sunday reading, "and you shall take no bribe, for a bribe blinds the clear-sighted and subverts the cause of those who are in the right, Exodus 23:8" in the Bible? You bet your ass I did my research.

No comments:

Post a Comment